Thursday, August 6, 2009

If you build it "correctly" they will come!

I was 12 years old when I saw a feature on WDTV 5 about a new BMX track that was set to open in Fairmont. The very next day my dad and I drove around Fairmont until we somehow found the Poor Farm BMX race track in mid construction. The Marion County Parks and Recreation was nice enough to let me coast around the half built 1st two straightaway’s. From that day on my life has been all about BMX racing. I have been racing at the Farm since the grand opening and have seen a lot of riders; track officials and parent volunteers come and go. All the while my love for the sport grew stronger with every lap that I made. It was 2005, the year of Poor Farm BMX’s first big North East Regional that I started to step up as more than just a local rider. I began to lend a hand whenever I could, trying to make the race track a better place. 4 years later I finally heard my calling and decided to step up as the official Track President. It may have been that I was tired of seeing the track sit at a standstill and not bring in any new riders AT ALL, or maybe it was that the newer track officials were very dear friends of mine, or maybe it was simply the fact that I loved the race paradise more than anyone else who ever laid 2 wheels on the course. I decided to not just step in and call myself “Track President”. I wanted to make my mark in WV BMX history. I wanted to bring in a whole new crop of riders with hopes that I would attract kids, teens and adults who have never got the chance to rip around a BMX race track. This past off season that is exactly what I did. Myself, Track Director – Sam Larsok and State Commish – Rod Mills traveled all over the surrounding area putting on the “Ride a Healthy Life Program” (A program on BMX racing and how it can improve the quality of children’s lives). The program consisted of a verbal presentation and a BIG AIR ramp demo. It was an immediate success and all of the kids, teachers and parents ate it up. After one local Fairmont show there were over 12 students that come to ride the track one day after we came to their school. My hopes and dreams are that with a lot of hard work, smart marketing and my TV connections, that I will make the Poor Farm BMX race track of Fairmont and statewide known feature that families travel from all corners to rider. We are in the works on a 2nd race track and lets just say that we wont ever have to worry about any rain dates! ; )
Until next time, Live Strong & Ride Hard!

Luke Nesler


PHOTOS COMING SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment